Saturday, August 22, 2009

Favourite spots

The problem with sketching gritty urban scenes is that you've got to actually sit in the gritty urban scene. The most visually inspiring places are often hard to get at. So, I am always on the look out for good views - places where I can sit, with my street-wise radar turned off, and draw. One of my current favourite spots is the studio where I go to Saturday painting classes. Out of every window there's something that catches my eye.


The studio is right next to Salt River Station. I will never get tired of drawing it.


The station has a maze of concrete ramps and bridges forming strong shapes and patterns. I've been trying to capture these. And I feel like I managed with these two.



I'm also quite pleased with them because they got me started in a new direction with my painting. (I'm still trying to decide if I'll put some of my paintings up on this blog. )

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marion It's wonderful you doing this and lots of lovely stuff here, fluid line, edgy composition...I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete